Manalapan, New Jersey
Manalapan is a township in Monmouth County, New Jersey. Manalapan Township was formed by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 9, 1848, from portions of Freehold Township. Englishtown was formed as a borough from portions of Manalapan on January 4, 1888, based on the results of a referendum held the previous day.
The name “Manalapan” is derived from a word in the Lenape language that would mean either “land of good bread” or “good land to settle upon”.
Manalapan landmarks include the headquarters facility of the Monmouth County Library, the Manalapan Recreation Center, and the battlefield for the Battle of Monmouth. Manalapan Under the Stars, the township’s community celebration featuring rides, concerts, fireworks, and other activities, is held annually at the Recreation Center. Performers featured in the series have included Herman’s Hermits Starring Peter Noone and Tommy James and the Shondells.
Manalapan was rated the second-hottest town on the East Coast by Money magazine.
Developments in Manalapan
- Camelot Club
- Clayton Farms
- Covered Bridge
- Elton Pointe
- Four Seasons at Manalapan
- Grande at Battleground
- Heritage Hills Estates
- Highland Ridge
- Holiday North
- Holiday Park
- Knob Hill
- Kristin Estates
- Manalapan Hills
- Manalapan Preserve
- Meadow Creek
- Meadows Edge
- Monmouth Heights
- Oak Knoll
- Oak Ridge
- Orchard Meadow
- Scenery Hill
- Southfield Estates
- Taylor Lakes
- Taylors Mills Estates
- The Knolls
- Towne Pointe
- Tracy Village
- Winding Woods
- Woodland Estates
- Wyncrest Estates
- Yorktowne Manor
Local Area School Reports
Click on school names to download reports that contain school grades, test scores, and more.
- Manalapan High School; Grades 9-12; Public (8 out of 10 stars)
- Taylor Mills Elementary School; Grades K-5; Public (7 out of 10 stars)
- Clark Mills Elementary School; Grades 1-5; Public (9 out of 10 stars)
- Milford Brook Elementary School; Grades 1-5; Public (8 out of 10 stars)
- Wemrock Brook School; Grades 1-5; Public (9 out of 10 stars)
- Pine Brook Elementary School; Grades 6; Public (9 out of 10 stars)
- Manalapan-Englishtown Middle School; Grades 7-8; Public (9 out of 10 stars)
- Lafayette Mills Elementary School; Grades 1-5; Public (9 out of 10 stars)
- Manalapan Montessori; Grades PK-1; Private (N/A)
- Chesterbrook Academy; Grades K-8; Private (N/A)
Roads and highways
Manalapan hosts U.S. Route 9 in the northeast, and State Route 33 passes through near the southern part of the township. Major county routes, such as 522 and 527 traverse through the municipality, while 537 goes along the southeast border of the township.
Other major roads that are accessible outside the township are the Garden State Parkway in bordering Old Bridge, Interstate 195 in bordering Millstone Township, and the New Jersey Turnpike (Interstate 95) in East Windsor Township (Exit 8) and bordering Monroe Township (Exit 8A).
NJ Transit provides bus service on the 139 route to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan, to Newark and Jersey City on the 64 and 67 routes, and local service on the 307 route.
The nearest commercial airports are Trenton-Mercer Airport which serves several domestic destinations via Frontier Airlines, located 25 miles (40 km) west; and Newark Liberty International Airport which serves as a major hub for United Airlines, 32 miles (51 km) north.